Today is the first day of school for teachers.
As so many commentators on my last post noted, it's important that teachers come prepared for today's long day of professional development meetings.
Ms. Tsouris has a new cell phone so she can text message friends (just like her students!) and a magazine of crossword puzzles.
Miss Malarkey has a stash of sudoku puzzles in a professional looking binder and she says "Since my head will be down, no one will see me rolling my eyes...Perfect!"
I have decided that I am going to be practicing some of the lessons I learned at a meditation workshop I took over the summer during today's professional development meetings.
I learned at my workshop that chanting om helps fill you with vigor and strength, keeps you from feeling depressed, and makes the mind serene.
Doesn't that sound nice?
Now I don't know if I am going to be able to keep the meditation up all year as I sit through school-wide meetings, departmental meetings, meetings on Kleinberg's new battery of ELA standardized tests, and various other professional development meetings.
But I am going to try.
After all, I think about 97% of the stuff covered at these things I have heard half a dozen times before and the other 3% could be imparted in about 5 minutes.
So how about you? What do you do to get through these PD meetings when you hear the same b.s. year-in, year-out that is so often devised by twenty-something Tweedies just out of grad school who have never worked a full slate of classes or assistant principals looking to cover their butts by parroting whatever the latest in-favor education themes at City Hall/Tweed are?
UNITY'S GENE MANN MAKES THE CASE AGAINST SENATOR FLANAGAN
43 minutes ago